Welcome to Hedgehog Class!
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Shardlow, Mrs Sidat and Mrs Haigh
Keep trying to learn those all important common exception words!
- Write them in different colour pens (Rainbow spellings)
- Put them on post-its and hide them around the house. When you find a word, spell it and win it!
- Use magnetic letters to spell 5 of the words on the fridge each week
- Use foam letters in the bath or shower to spell the words, or just use your finger and the bubbles!
- 'Paint' spellings onto pavements or fences in the garden with an old paintbrush and water
- Paint your spellings onto big sheets of paper
- For those of you who like getting messy, fill a baking tray with shaving foam or a little cornflour and water, and write your spellings in the mixture.
- Find your spellings in a newspaper or magazine, cut them out and collect them
For a list of the words visit:
Or try this online game:
Here are some maths games to try at home to help with various maths skills. Why not try one a day?
http://www.ictgames.com/weight.html - Measuring Scales games
https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/116/telling-the-time - Telling the time game
http://www.timestables.me.uk/printable-pdf-quiz-generator.htm Times table sheet generator
https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button Times table game.
https://www.timestables.co.uk/games/ More times tables games!
Please see the homework bingo below. Any questions about this please ask.
Don't forget to read every day.
If you read at least three times a week you will receive a house point for you team.
My Maths Update
Thank you for your patience as we have been setting up this system for Year 2.
In this term (Autumn 1) we have only set 3 pieces of My Maths homework to be completed as part of Homework Bingo. Please encourage children to explore the My Maths Games if they wish to do more.
Next term Autumn 2, there will be considerably more pieces of My Maths to complete as the children will be used to this routine by then.
If you have any problems with My Maths or do not have facilities to log in please let a Year 2 teacher know, we will be happy to help.
Important Diary Dates
Wednesday 18th Sept 3:15 -4pm Supporting your child In Year 2 - Further information to be announced soon.
We are busy planning our first exciting adventure! Check back soon for more details.
Other useful websites
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zs73r82 - Useful for Science discussions What is the difference between living and non living things?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H4knv_KsPk The Frog and The Scorpion Fable used in English.
https://www.zsl.org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo Why not take a trip to ZSL to Whipsnade Zoo to learn more about living creatures.
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/ Or a visit to the Natural History Museum will help to talk about things that were once living.
https://www.familymathstoolkit.org.uk/ The Family Maths Toolkit is full of ideas to help parents, families and children aged 13 and under enjoy everyday maths activities together.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/grownups/help-your-child-with-maths Give your child a head start in Maths: everything parents need to know about Numeracy development from 0-6 with fun activities you can build into everyday life and play
https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/maths/ Find out what you can do to help develop your child's maths skills, from the early years to KS2 SATs.